The SSWSC Backcountry Program 200 is designed for skiers and riders with an AIARE level 1 certification looking to further develop and use the fundamental skills needed for safe, fun, backcountry travel while exploring the backcountry in our region. The program will be led by an experienced backcountry instructor (Lucas Mouttet) and will include an AIARE 2 training certification both in the classroom and in the field. Weekend backcountry trips will include Steamboat and Cameron Pass backcountry ski zones. Weekday evening training sessions will be based out of Howelsen Hill with a focus on education and preparation for the upcoming weekend’s adventure. AIARE 1 Certification is required, with a willingness to do full day touring trips is required.
- Minimum skiing requirement: Ability to ski the entire ski mountain and a desire to learn to safely access backcountry ski terrain.
- Experience Pre Requisite Skills: AIARE 1 Certification, 1 year and 5 logged trips of experience.
- Equipment requirements: Backcountry ski or snowboard setup with touring bindings (tech fit/ pin recommended), skins, poles, and boots with walk mode. Avalanche safety equipment, including modern 3-antenna beacon (5 years old or less), shovel and probe. Daypack for safety gear along with helmet and goggles, personal first aid kit, and items for day tours. *contact instructor for information on backcountry equipment discounts.
- Season Pass Information: Howelsen Hill alpine pass needed for lift use plus 1- 3 days on Steamboat Resort expected, passes not included in program fee.
- Competition information: Optional ski mountaineering competitions may be available during the winter.
October 16 -March 12
*OPTIONAL hut trip March 25,26
Saturdays 9-3 as scheduled*
PROGRAM FEE: $2,425 plus $350 refundable work deposit
Non-Residents: $3,030 plus $350 refundable work deposit