Designed for athletes who wish to improve in competitive Big Mountain freeskiing. This group focuses on continued development of the freeskiing fundamentals and competitive skills. Training in all freeskiing venues - terrain park, halfpipe and big mountain - as tools to improve big mountain skiing goals. The team generally splits training time 70/30 in a competitive venue environment and out of venue. The Big Mountain Team is a competition-oriented program, competing in the Rocky Mountain Freeride Series, along with IFSA national events.
The Big Mountain Competitive winter program starts in September with pre-season training after school through a fun, fitness based Movement and Conditioning program. The teams start heading to Summit County for on-snow camps at the start of November, weather permitting. The main contest season starts in January and training continues through the end of USASA Nationals in early April.
- Minimum skiing requirement: Ability to ski the entire mountain with a desire to improve skills
- Equipment requirements: Alpine skiing, snowboarding or telemark equipment, a back protector and a helmet
- Season pass information: Purchase ski passes to Steamboat Ski Resort and Howelsen Hill. Ikon pass recommended for camp opportunities
- Competition information: Athletes may participate in regional and national level IFSA events and USASA (limited options)
- Licensing requirements: IFSA and RMFS memberships are required for all Big Mountain events. US Ski & Snowboard memberships are required for athletes who are 18 or older per Safesport rules (choose the volunteer membership level).
Aug 31 7-April 2
(or thru IFSA Nor Am Champs if qualified)
March 3-April 2
Aug 31- Nov 13
T and Th 3-5 @ HH
Wed and Fri
4-6 @ Bald Eagle Lake and HH as scheduled
T, Th, F 1:00-3:30pm @ SB
Sa 8:15am-1:00pm @ SB
T 4:00-5:00 @ HH Gym
Tues at HH airbag as scheduled
T,Th,F 1:00-3:30pm, Sat 11:00-3:00pm @ SB
PROGRAM FEE:$4,995 +$450 work deposit
Non-resident price: $6,240 +$450 work deposit
Check out all the SSWSC’s scholarship opportunities HERE!