Coach Apprentice Program (10th-12th grade)
The apprentice program is for those individuals interested in exploring the path of coaching. The goal of an apprentice is to become a senior coach the following year. Apprentices will earn high school intern or work-based learning credit for the spring semester and a Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA) certification. The program is a 15-week program that would consist of one night a week of on-snow technical training or classroom theory and one morning on the weekend of practical coaching experience.
- Weeknight training would consist of improving their ski skills, breaking down fundamental skills, learning teaching progressions, coaching theory.
- Weekend training would consist of placement with a senior coach and helping lead a group of U6 or U8 skiers.
- Complete the SSWSS Junior Coach Program Application.
- Must be able to commit to entire season of training with minimal absences.
- Coach Apprentices would work toward PSIA certification through the season. SSWSC will cover the cost of PSIA and US Ski and Snowboard membership and PSIA certification.
- Coach Apprentices will obtain a US Ski and Snowboard Junior Coach license ($75) and complete the necessary requirements, including SafeSport, Coaching Fundamentals, Avalanche Awareness, and background check if over 18.
- Accepted candidates would receive a SSWSC coach pass or $100 towards the expense of an IKON pass and a complimentary Howelsen Hill ski pass.
- Waived SSWSC program Work Deposit (if involved in winter programs).
- Program credit of 50% of the cost of the program they coach.
- Steamboat Springs High School Intern credit – this program qualifies for a SSHS internship credit.
- Guaranteed paid coaching position the following season.
- PSIA certification.
- Letter of Recommendation.
- End-of-season gift and self-reflection.