This program is designed for the competitively driven freeskiing athlete interested in regional competition. It is targeted at the phase 3 development level of the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Training System. Coaching will be geared toward freeskiing skill development across the entire mountain including terrain parks, halfpipe, and big mountain, generally splitting time 40/60 between the competitive venue and out of venue. Cross-training activities will include trampoline and conditioning. Travel will be offered for training camps and competitions.
- This program is for 7th and 8th graders
- Minimum skiing requirement: Desire and ability to ski black runs, to improve skills and to improve in all areas of skiing including slopestyle, halfpipe and big mountain skills. Contact Andy Michnay (email) for details.
- Equipment requirements: Alpine skiing or telemark equipment and a helmet. *Back protector required for IFSA competitions and recommended for training and USASA but not required.
- Season pass information: Ikon pass recommended for skiing at Steamboat Ski Resort and Copper Mountain. Howelsen Hill pass required (for sale starting in October)
- Competition information: Athletes will participate in regional and national level USASA and/or IFSA events *If competing in both IFSA and USASA competitions/travel will be limited*
- Licensing requirements: A USASA license is required for USASA slopestyle and halfpipe competitions, and an IFSA membership is required for all Big Mountain events.
2022/23 DATES: October 11-April 1
DRYLAND: October 11-November 11
Tuesdays 4:00-5:30 at Howelsen for field workout
Fridays 4:00-6:00 at Bald Eagle for trampoline/field workout
*If weather is poor we will have at least one team building activity throughout the week indoors
If your athlete is not participating in other fall sports, check out our additional Junior Freeskiing Fall Dryland for additional preseason training and time in the gym.
ON-SNOW: November 29-April 1
Tuesday 4:15-6:00 on snow and 6:00-7:00 in gym at Howelsen Hill
Wednesday 4:15-6:15 at Howelsen Hill
Friday 4:15-6:15 at Howelsen Hill thru December 9, then 5:30-7:30 at Steamboat Resort starting December 16
Saturday 9:00-1:00 at Steamboat Resort
2022/23 PROGRAM FEE: $3,725, plus $450 refundable work deposit
See the Scholarship page for information on our program fee scholarships, including the one-step EZ Scholarship.
For information about the SSWSC work deposit program, click here.
Email Andy Michnay, Freeskiing Program Director