Freeskiing Junior Team Full Time, grades 7-8
This program is designed for the competitively driven freeskiing athlete interested in regional competition. It is targeted at the phase 3 development level of the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Training System. Coaching will be geared toward freeskiing skill development across the entire mountain, including terrain parks, halfpipe, and big mountain, generally splitting time 40/60 between the competitive venue and out-of-venue. Cross-training activities will include trampoline and conditioning. Travel will be offered for training camps and competitions.
- This program is for 7th and 8th graders.
- Minimum skiing requirement: Desire and ability to ski black runs, to improve skills and to improve in all areas of skiing, including slopestyle, halfpipe, and big mountain skills. Contact Andy Michnay (email) for details.
- Equipment requirements: Alpine skiing or telemark equipment and a helmet. *Back protector required for IFSA competitions and recommended for training and USASA but not required.
- Season pass information: Ikon pass recommended for skiing at Steamboat Ski Resort and Copper Mountain. Howelsen Hill pass required (for sale starting in October)
- Competition information: Athletes will participate in regional and national level USASA and/or IFSA events *If competing in both IFSA and USASA competitions/travel will be limited*
- Licensing requirements: A USASA license is required for USASA slopestyle and halfpipe competitions, and an IFSA membership is required for all Big Mountain events.
2023-2024 DATES: October 11 – March 30
DRYLAND: October 11 – November 10
Wednesday and Thursday, 4:00-5:30pm at Howelsen Hill for field workout or Bald Eagle Lake for Trampoline/Filed Workout (If weather is poor we will have at least one team-building activity throughout the week indoors).
ON-SNOW: November 27 – March 30 (if qualified for Nor-Ams we will train until the competition)
Tuesday, 4:15-6:00pm on snow and 6:00-7:00pm in gym at Howelsen Hill
Wednesday, 4:15-6:15pm at Howelsen Hill
Friday, 4:15-6:15pm at Howelsen Hill until December 9, then 5:30-7:30pm at Steamboat Resort starting December 16
Saturday, 8:15am-2:00pm at Steamboat Resort
2023-2024 PROGRAM FEE: $4,150 plus $450 refundable work deposit
See the Scholarship page for information on our program fee scholarships, including the one-step EZ Scholarship.
For information about the SSWSC work deposit program, click here.
Email Andy Michnay, Freeskiing Program Director