U10 Skiing [Ages 8 - 10]
*Based on the age of your child on December 31st
This signature SSWSC program, led by Olympic gold medalist Deb Armstrong, helps young alpine, mogul and freeride skiers develop a comprehensive set of skiing skills that better prepare them to further their skiing career in whichever discipline they desire. Taking advantage of Steamboat’s unique diversity of training environments, the teams will explore bumps, powder, trees, jumps, gates, steeps and terrain parks. Training venues include the SSWSC Stevens Family Alpine Venue, SSWSC mogul courses, terrain parks, Nordic jumps and the SSWSC air bag jump. While other programs start to narrow their focus into disciplines at this age, the SSWSC continues to develop a broad base of fundamental skiing skills that aligns with the athlete development models of the USSA and the U.S Olympic Committee. Dryland training is offered prior to getting on-snow once Howelsen Hill and Steamboat Ski Resort open. These sessions are optional, as we support children competing in other sports during the fall. Dryland sessions are focused on physical literacy, improving fitness, camaraderie and fun. Skiers participate in the Steamboat Cup Series. USSA Rocky Mountain Division and USASA competitions are optional. To maximize training volume, this group does not travel to all available competitions and will only send coaches to select events. 2- or 3-day per week training options are offered based on the athlete’s desired commitment.
- Minimum requirement: Comfortably ski blue runs.
- Participants need alpine ski equipment including helmet.
- Ski passes to Steamboat Ski Resort (add night skiing for 3-day program) and Howelsen Hill.
- Steamboat Cup Series does not require any license, fees or formal entry.
- USSA membership is required for USSA (alpine racing or moguls) and USASA membership is required for USASA freeskiing competitions.
- Regular attendance at training is important.
For more information on work deposits and charitable contributions click here.
Your 8 - 9 year old athlete might also enjoy the following programs: