U10 Ski and Cross Country, ages 8-10
This crossover program offers a unique opportunity available only in a place like Steamboat. Skiers alpine ski two times a week, and cross country ski once a week. Athletes will ski on cross country (XC) skate equipment incorporating games, poma rides, jumps, balance work, skate technique and adventures with the goal of developing a broader range of balance, strength and movement skills that form the foundation of optimal athletic development. This requires athletes to have two sets of equipment: alpine gear and XC skate gear. Skiers will be with a consistent coach and group through the program as they use the different disciplines to become well-rounded, incredibly balanced skiers.
- Minimum requirement: Comfortably ski blue runs on alpine equipment, no XC experience needed.
- Equipment: SSWSC works with local shops to provide quality seasonal rental packages:
- Alpine skis - There will be a U10 Alpine fit night in early October, then families can rent or purchase from local shops. Please make sure you clear your equipment with the head coach before purchasing or renting gear.
- Cross country skis - XC Gear - Athletes should rent a cross country skate ski package with skis, boots and poles. Please get your seasonal cross country rentals in September! The Steamboat Touring Center and Ski Haus will run out.
- Skiers will need a season pass to Steamboat Ski Resort and a Howelsen Hill All Access pass
- Steamboat Cup races do not require any additional memberships. Sign-up might be required.
- U.S. Ski & Snowboard or USASA membership is required for U.S. Ski & Snowboard (alpine and moguls) or USASA (freeskiing) competitions.
- Register by October 1 to ensure a place in this program
2023-2024 DATES, TIMES AND LOCATIONS:
Monday and Thursday, 4:15-5:30, Howelsen Hill, November 13, 16, 27, 30
On-Snow Training: December 2 - March 16
Monday: Alpine, 4:15-6:00pm at Howelsen Hill
Thursday: XC, 4:15-5:45pm at Howelsen Hill
Saturday: Alpine, 8:30am-2:00pm at Steamboat Resort (exact times may change due to drop-off/pick-up locations)
*No Training December 23 - January 5, and February 19-24
2023-2024 PROGRAM FEE: $3,050 plus $300 work deposit
Check out the Scholarship page for information about our program fee scholarships, including the one-step EZ Scholarship.
For information about the SSWSC work deposit program, see our Volunteer page.
Questions about this program?
Contact Ali Givnish, Winter Youth Programs Director