Devo Freeski Full Time, grades 4-6
The Devo Freeski Program is the next step for skiers ready to explore their preferred specialties. This program enhances technical skills learned from U10 programs and covers slopestyle, halfpipe, big mountain, moguls, and more. Alongside skill-building, we introduce the thrilling world of competitive skiing and travel experiences. Perfect for those ready to delve into specific skiing areas while still exploring the sport’s diverse facets.
DEVO Free includes competition options that prioritize events hosted here in Steamboat. Skiers are encouraged to participate in the Steamboat Cup Series. Athletes interested in a more competitive experience can participate in one USASA slopestyle, halfpipe, and rail jam event and/or IFSA big mountain event each, along with one opportunity to travel to one additional event. USASA Park/Pipe and IFSA Big Mountain events require separate memberships and we will discuss which membership(s) each athlete will need at the start of the season. This program is scheduled for four days a week on snow. At this age and stage it is our goal to help create a love for the sport and a love for the process of improving!
- Minimum skiing requirement: Must be able to ski blue/black runs confidently with an interest in skiing across the whole mountain.
- Equipment requirements: Alpine ski equipment and helmet, USASA/IFSA participants should have twin tip skis. *Back protector required for IFSA competitions and is recommended for training and USASA but not required.
- Participants must have ski passes to Steamboat Ski Resort (Ikon recommended) and Howelsen Hill
- Competition information: SSWSC will choose selected events from the USASA (halfpipe and slopestyle) and IFSA (big mountain) competition series that will be staffed. *Since we don’t expect to host a USASA Slopestyle competition in Steamboat, we’ll add a travel event to an Ikon Resort along with our home Rail Jam and Half Pipe events for those interested, and for IFSA our home event will be offered for competition options. (Our home events are subject to change, and we will offer other options for competitions if needed.)
- Licensing requirements: Skiers do not need a license for the Steamboat Ski Cup Series, but a USASA license is required for USASA slopestyle and halfpipe competitions and an IFSA license is required for Big Mountain events.
2023-2024 DATES, TIMES AND LOCATIONS: October 11 – March 23
Dryland: October 11 - November 10
Wednesday and Friday, 4:00-5:30pm at Howelsen Hill for field workout (if weather is poor we will have at least one team-building activity throughout the week indoors).
Check out the September Ramps add-on for additional water ramp training going into the winter season
On-Snow: November 27 - March 23
Monday, 4:15-6:00pm at Howelsen Hill
Tuesday, 4:15-6:15pm at Howelsen Hill
Friday, 4:15-6:15pm at Howelsen Hill
Saturday, 8:30am-2:30pm at Steamboat Resort
2023-2024 PROGRAM FEE: $3,950 plus $450 refundable work deposit
Visit our Scholarship page for information on program fee scholarships, including the one-step EZ Scholarship.
For information on the SSWSC work deposit program, see the Volunteer page.
Email Andy Michnay, Freeskiing Program Director