Cross Country U16/U18/U20, ages 14-19
This program offers a comprehensive level of training for motivated athletes who love the sport and want to pursue their top potential in cross country ski racing. Each participant works with his/her coach to develop an annual training plan and goals. They should exhibit a high level of dedication to their sport. Skiers compete in local, regional, national, and in some cases, international competitions. SSHS students should sign up for the “0” hour school schedule to line up with weekday training times.
- Minimum skiing requirement: Some XC skiing experience is beneficial but not mandatory. There have been successful XC athletes who began skiing in high school.
- Equipment requirements: Cross country ski racing equipment for classic and skate on snow and classic and skate roller ski equipment for dry land training.
- Trail pass information: Purchase a Youth Premier Valley Pass.
- Competition information: Participants compete in Rocky Mountain Nordic (RMN) Junior National Qualifiers, Junior National championships (by qualification) and other events including Senior National Championships, Super Tour events and Super Tour Finals, if deemed appropriate.
- Licensing requirements: Participants will need a U.S. Ski & Snowboard Competitor Membership. RMN membership is a required add on to the USSS membership and is automatically added on to USSS Membership Annual Fee. Some athletes will also need a FIS license depending on competition plan, check with the coaches.
2023-2024 DATES, TIMES AND LOCATIONS:Dryland Training: Tuesday - Friday, 2:45-5:30pm and Saturday, 9am - 12:30pm starting August 22nd at Howelsen Hill. On-Snow Training: Tuesday - Friday, 2:45-5:30pm and Saturday, 9am - 12:30pm through April 6 at Howelsen Hill. On-snow training typically begins in early November.
2023-2024 PROGRAM FEE
RESIDENT*: $8,200, plus $600 refundable work deposit
NON-RESIDENT: $10,250, plus $600 refundable work deposit
*Full-time residents of Routt or Moffat County, or full-time participants of SSWSC for two years or more (see Member Handbook for full details on resident fees)
See the Scholarships page for information on program fee scholarships, including the one-step EZ Scholarship.
For more information on the SSWSC work deposit program click here.
Steamboat Mountain School: For decades, numerous SSWSC student-athletes have attended Steamboat Mountain School—an independent college-preparatory school with day and boarding opportunities. SSWSC partners with SMS offering a coordinated and world-class educational and athletic experience.
For more details about Steamboat Mountain School and its collaboration with the SSWSC, visit the SMS website or email Pearson Alspach, Upper School Director of Admissions.