The following information outlines the scholarship opportunities available to SSWSC athletes.
- Summer | Winter Program Fee Scholarship Application Download Application Accepting Applications NOW!
Program Fee Scholarship Applications:
- Three scholarship application periods are available (One in Summer, Two in Winter):
- SUMMER APPLICATIONS: DUE ON June 1st
- WINTER APPLICATION #1: (Rolling Application Acceptance after Sept 1)
- WINTER APPLICATION #2: DUE ON December 1st
- Completed scholarship application, a copy of the previous year’ Federal 1040 Tax Return from both parents and a personal financial statement form must be returned to the SSWSC office on or before the designated dates.
- One third (1/3) of all program fees and SSWSC Work Deposit must be paid in full before a scholarship application will be considered.
- Confidentiality of submitted information is guaranteed.
Eligibility Requirements for Program Fee Scholarship Applicants:
- Any junior participant in any program, may apply for a scholarship from SSWSC. Masters athletes are not eligible for SSWSC scholarships.
- Must demonstrate financial need and desire to participate.
- If granted a scholarship, applicant must work off 100% of work deposit in current year.
- Must receive positive recommendation from previous year’s coaches, or, if new, from a reliable source.
- Must be willing to conduct one’s self in an exemplary manner consistent with the ideals, rules and standards of the SSWSC.
Scholarship Funds and Their Distribution:
- If awarded a scholarship, the money is applied to the participant’s SSWSC account
- A portion of scholarship funds may be retained for later disbursement to aid in travel expenses.
- Academic and athletic merit, in addition to the above, shall be a consideration by the committee.
- Bill Michalek Memorial Scholarship Download Application
The Bill Michalek Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by Bill’s family and close friends, for the purpose of funding an annual scholarship to a deserving athlete(s) of the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club. The scholarship is meant to honor Bill’s commitment to skiing in Steamboat Springs and is administered through the Yampa Valley Community Foundation.
Bill grew up in central New York where he learned to ski at Smith Hill (a hillside with a rope tow in Binghampton, New York) and at Greek Peak (Cortland, New York). He was the president of his high school ski club. After college, Bill moved to Steamboat Springs in 1971 and taught skiing for a number of years while establishing his own real estate business.
- Amount available - Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded each year
- Date awarded - 8/30 of each year
- Application period - August 15th for an August 30th award
- Applicant must be an active participant of the SSWSC
- Applicant must be 13-18 years old
- Applicant must have a 2.5 grade point average or higher
- Applicant has shown strong character traits during his/her time with the SSWSC
- Athlete must be in a “full time” competitive program
- Neville Family College Scholarships Download Application>
These college scholarships will be awarded each spring to deserving athletes who will be attending college the following fall. These funds are made available through a donation from Steamboat locals, the Neville Family.
- Amount Available: $7,500.00 per scholarship year
- Date Awarded: April 15 (presented at annual awards)
- Application Period: March 1 through April 1
- Applications are available in the SSWSC main office by February 15
- Applicant must be in their senior year at a local Routt County high school.
- Applicant must have a 2.5 GPA or higher for high school.
- Applicant has shown strong character traits during their time with the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club.
- Applicant has been a member of SSWSC for a minimum of two years.
- Applicant must be in a full time competitive program.
Bob Finlay had a passion for anything that involved snow. He learned to ski in the east, attended college there and joined the 10th Mountain Division. He grew to love Colorado at Camp Hale and went on to fight in the Italian Alps with a 105 Howitzer pulled by a mule. The story he liked to tell was, “It took a two man team to operate that small cannon. The mule did a great job pulling the Howitzer through the snow. At night we would make a snow cave and the three of us would sleep together to stay warm. The mule was nicer because he did not snore as loud as my comrade”.
Bob raised three girls and involved all of them in winter activities ranging from snow fort building to icing a toboggan run and creating a ski hill in the back yard. His skiing style was magnificent and seemingly effortless. He fueled enthusiasm and passion in his daughters and created beautiful memories.
This scholarship is being given to a young girl to enable her to pursue her passion for winter sports in memory of Robert T. Finlay who had a passion for skiing and loved snow.
- Amount Available: $1,000.00 per year
- Date Awarded: Annually on April 1
- Application Period: March 1 through March 25
- Application are available in the SSWSC main Office by March 1
- Applicant must be a female between the ages of 14 - 19 years of age.
- Applicant must have a 2.5 grade point average or higher for high school.
- Applicant must have shown strong character traits during her time with the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club.
- Applicant must be in a full time competitive program.
- Athletic Achievement Award Fund Download Application
Athletic Achievement Award Fund
Source of Funds:
These funds are generated by the Moose is Loose Golf Tournament as well as other private donations to this fund. All funds will be held under control of SSWSC Foundation and dispersed for the sole purpose of this award.
Applications are currently available in the SSWSC main office. Applications will be accepted until March 15th and funds will be dispersed by April 1st. Awards may be used to offset expenses related to competition costs.
- Athletes in all SSWSC disciplines are eligible
- Athletes age 13 yrs or older that qualify for a National Championship and/or Junior Nationals and or International Events.
- Awards based upon actual event expenses
- Achievement Award Fund Application Criteria to include:
- Coaches recommendations
- Summary of your athletic expense for this season (to include coaching fees, travel, equipment, competition fees)
- Copy of your most recent report card
- Teacher Recommendation
For further information, please contact Sarah Floyd at 879-0695 extension #104 or e-mail Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stacy and Diana Child’s Alpine Competitive Scholarship Application Download Application
To provide financial assistance to local alpine athletes involved in competitive alpine skiing. This scholarship is to be awarded to athletes who embrace hard work, exhibit a persistent and sustained high level of effort and dedication. These individuals will demonstrate the ability to proactively set goals, and to successfully implement a plan to achieve those goals.
- Applications must be submitted by January 1st. Awards announced by January 15th
- Applications must be submitted by February 15th. Awards announced by March 1st.
- Applications must be submitted by May 1st. Awards to be made on May 15th
Athletes may apply for each award period if desired.
- Carl’s Cup Scholarship Race SeriesDownload Application
This scholarship opportunity is for SSWSC male or female athlete’s aged 12 to 15 years in any discipline who are currently active in the SSWSC programs and participating in out of town competitive events. This scholarship fund has been made possible by local businesses, corporations, and life long ski racers through their participation and/or donations to the Carl’s Cup Scholarship Race Series. The goal of this scholarship is to provide an opportunity for young athletes to participate in out of town races and help ease the financial burden for the families of these athletes. Please complete the information below and submit to the SSWSC main office by March March 27th