Alpine Racing U14, ages 12-13
This program is for motivated skiers born in 2010and 2011 who love to ski race and enjoy competition. Athletes begin to spend more time in gates learning tactics and managing speed in the race course. However, plenty of time is still spent skiing the whole mountain to strengthen fundamental skiing skills, challenge the skiers’ balance and to have fun. Skiers participate in U.S. Ski & Snowboard Rocky Mountain Division competitions. Participation in the dryland program is expected to establish a base of fitness to help the skiers minimize injury risk and ski their best, but those playing fall sports are encouraged to, and their dryland plan can be adapted.
- Minimum skiing requirement: Comfortable on all-mountain terrain
- Equipment requirements: Skiers should have and consistently maintain GS and slalom skis, properly fitted junior race ski boots, helmet, goggles with UV lenses, speed suit, back protector, slalom pole guards, and shin guards. Super G skis* and goggles with clear/night lenses recommended. Helmets must have FIS approved sticker shown.
- Season pass information: Must have ski passes to Howelsen Hill and to Steamboat Ski Resort - full Ikon pass recommended.
- Competition information: Skiers participate in the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Rocky Mountain Division (RMD) Age Class Series, selected SYNC Cup races, and Junior Championship events.
- Licensing requirements: U.S. Ski & Snowboard competitor membership is required.
NOTE: The U14 age group is for skiers born in 2010 and 2011, but 2009 year of birth skiers who want fewer days of training than the U16 program and do not wish to compete in the full SYNC Cup competition schedule may also join the alpine U14 program.
*SSWSC has a limited inventory of Super G skis available to loan to athletes for the season based on availability, inquire with coaches. Athletes responsible for the maintenance of these skis during the season.
2023-2024 DATES, TIMES, and LOCATIONS: Starting September 12
Dryland Training: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, 4:00-5:30pm at Howelsen Hill starting September 12
On Snow Training: Mid-November through April 14
Tuesday, 6:00-8:00pm at Howelsen Hill
Wednesday, 6:00-8:00pm at Howelsen Hill
Thursday, 6:00-8:00pm at Howelsen Hill
Saturday, 8:30am-3:00pm at Steamboat Resort
Sunday, 8:30am-3:00pm at Steamboat Resort
2023-2024 PROGRAM FEE: $7,650 plus $500 work deposit
Bonus training sessions may be offered during Christmas Break, Blues Break and scheduled off days for the Steamboat School District.
Questions about this program?
Email Tyler Shepherd, Alpine Program Director